Friday 25 October 2013

Cheesy veggie bake and sausages

Mmm. Autumn. Nasty drizzle, fluffy coats, gorgeous orange and red leaves tumbling everywhere, wind-chapped lips... my favourite time to turn to comforting food :).

The ultimate advantage of this dish it its flexibility. You can mix it up to use up whatever veg you've got lying around or whatever was cheap at the supermarket this week.

My leftovers made 2 more meals. Confession: I made it a few weeks back and I can't remember what I did exactly... here's an approximation :)



Cheesy veggie bake

Time: probably about an hour in total. Leave it and come back.
Pans: 2 (saucepan and baking dish)
Ingredients:

  • Selection of root veg (I used sweet potato, parsnip and carrot)
  • Other veg (optional) - I used up some elderly green beans
  • Onion
  • Small tin of chickpeas
  • Small tin of tomatoes
  • Stock cube/bouillon powder
  • Slice of bread (good for using up ends)
  • Cheese and nuts (optional)
1. Start by greasing a baking dish with a bit of butter or oil. Preheat your oven - I'm guessing about 200c but I can't remember.
2. Chop up your onion and cook it gently in the saucepan with some oil for a while.
3. Chop up all your root veg and add to saucepan. Let it cook a bit.
4. Add your chickpeas and tomatoes, and enough stock to make everything into a stew.
5. Leave to bubble away in the saucepan (stir occasionally) until your root veg starts to soften and some of the liquid has evaporated.
6. When a suitable consistency, pour everything into the baking dish. Grate the bread into crumbs over the top with some cheese and nuts if you like.
7. Bake in the oven until the breadcrumbs and cheese turn crunchy.
8. Enjoy! I had mine with sausages... good comfort food ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment